myspace layouts images




Sunday, February 3, 2008

Last Minute CNY Shopping

I've been wanting to go Chinatown to get some New Year goodies like Ba Gua (BBQ pork) and Nian Gao (aka New Year Sticky Rice Cake) but haven't have the time to do it. And many of my friends didn't want to go too cos of the crowd. So i decided to go down alone today.

Actually i know these items can be easily purchase at many stores, but i think the Nian Gao at Chinatown is really nice.. and usually when i'm there.. i thought must as well, buy the ever-popular Ba Gua, Lim Chee Guan.

Mr. G dropped me at Chinatown and headed for tuition while I started my queue at 10.54am..... erm... at the alley, can't even see the shop!


Gonna be a looooong wait!

20 minutes later.... i'm out of that alley! :)

Good stuffs are worth waiting!!



45 minutes later..... i see some hopes! i finally see the sign board of 'Lim Chee Guan'. Thinking it'll probably be another half hour to my turn......................

Happie to see i'm closer!!

It ended up an hour later!! Yes, ended up i queued for 1 hr 45mins to get my 4 packets of Ba Gua... *my legs are tired*

Immediately, i went to buy the Nian Gao at Hong Lim Complex and after which, headed back home to rest....... Though it took time to wait and queue for these items but it's only a once a year thing and i just hope my family gets to enjoy them :)


This is the shop famous for 'Nian Gao'


my 'yearly-gets'

10 comments:

The Bimbo said...

Wah you really go and queue up ah! I walked past i see liao I also want to faint....

F.R.E.D.Y said...

holoshit tht's crazy! haha..

Xer said...

hi bobo & fredy, hee.. i know it's kinda craziee but once a year.. i'm still okie, heee... :)

dave said...

The queue at Lim Chee Guan Bak Kwa was madness! I was there on Monday morning 10am hoping to get some for relatives in HK but the queue was impossible. Longer then the Q i saw on your blog. Anyway, I decided to walk to Bee Cheng Hiang and ended up spending $300 dollars on Bak Kwa and I must say everyone in HK was happy with Bee Cheng Hiang Bak Kwa. So I guess, In the longer term, no more Lim Chee Guan Bak Kwa for me :P

Xer said...

hey david, so ya spending your New Yr at HK? i actually wanted to get Bee Cheng Hiang too if e queue at Lim Chee Guan Bak Kwa is really bad like u said. Maybe next time can go another day earlier? Hee.. Btw, Happie CNY! :)

dave said...

Hey Xerene,
Ya...I'm in Hong Kong and experiencing CNY here :) The weather is cold. As low as 8 degree and I was told one of the lowest in the last five years. In fact, i like any Singaporean enjoy cold weather but without adequate heating facilities in housing here, it can be unbearable at night :P

Well, as to Lim Chee Guan Bak Kwa, In fact i was there the night before and they just put up a sign saying, SOLD OUT FOR TH DAY. So i guess the only way is still going early before they open and start queuing and be amongst the first few if you really can't do without LCG Bak Kwa..haha. For me, I guess I will settle for Bee Cheng Hiang.

BTW, food here in HK is superb! Roast Goose, Mutton Claypot and all the local dishes at the local Tea House and just so satisfying. Loving it!!! Will be leaving for Macau come Wednesday and see what I can find there :)

Meaning wishing you Xin Xiang Si Chen, Wan Si Ru Yi!!!

:))) Gong Xi Gong Xi!!!

Xer said...

Thanks David, u too! Wan Shi Ru Yi!

Oh ya, i LOVE e roast goose there! But so far i only tried Yong Gei @ Central. Recommend me others if there is any one nicer there, heee :)

Johnny Ong said...

ONE HOUR AND FORTY FIVE MINUTES?????

my limit will be 30 minutes. don't usually like to queue for food no matter how nice.

dave said...

If you have tried Yong Kei ( I believe is Yung Kei) @ Central, you had supposedly tried the best Roast Goose in Hong Kong. I was told they are the best! Anyway, I went to Yung Kei on the 6th Day of Chinese New Year and they have a board outside saying that ALL Their Roast Goose are SOLD OUT. You can imagine how disappointed I was.
So the best I've tried are those from Mei Sum (Maxim Restaurant). The skin is crispy, the meat is tender and juicy. It is REALLY REALLY Awesome! Highly Recommended if you do not have time to travel to Yung Kei at Central (Zhong Wan).

Xer said...

hi David, back frm ur trip? Next time go Yung Kee, i think have to call & book first.

But Maxim sounds gd too! I'll prob go try it the next round ;p